If you are a Bachelor of Science in Sustainable Management degree-seeking student who has completed at least two courses and maintained a 2.75 or higher grade point average in the program, you are eligible to apply for the Sustainable Management Academic Scholarship. You may apply for and receive this scholarship multiple times as you progress through the program.
- Write a 500-word (minimum) essay on one of the sustainability topics listed below. If you have previously applied for a scholarship through UW Sustainable Management and are applying again, please choose a different topic than you wrote about before.
- Complete and submit the online application below, along with your personal essay, by the first day of classes.
Choose one of the following topics for your 500-word essay:
- Describe how a Sustainable Management bachelor’s degree will benefit your current or intended career.
- What has been the most interesting or rewarding part of your experience in the Sustainable Management program so far?
- Pick three of your favorite sustainability topics. Describe how the Sustainable Management program has increased your understanding of those topics.
- Explain why you chose the Sustainable Management program, and your ultimate career goal after graduation.
- Who or what introduced you to the idea of sustainability? Tell us how your view of sustainability has evolved since you first learned about it.
- Imagine you have time traveled to the year 2050. What does your workplace, community, or the world look like in terms of sustainability? What has changed?
- What sustainability advocate do you admire most? Explain why. (This advocate could be a person, organization, country, or other entity.)
- Select a book or watch a movie (can be fiction or non-fiction) that addresses sustainability in some way. Discuss how one specific sustainability issue was presented in the book or movie and the importance of that issue in today’s world. Examples: Moby Dick and whaling; Lord of the Rings and deforestation; Silent Spring and use of pesticides; The Road and natural resource management; Hunger Games and exploitation of labor.
- Choose one company or organization and analyze its sustainability efforts. In what ways are the leaders of that organization succeeding in sustainability? What could they do to improve their sustainable strategy?
Scholarships are available for fall and spring semesters only and are awarded to qualifying students 20 days after the first day of classes.
Multiple scholarships will be awarded, so apply today!
Find out more about scholarship opportunities and how to apply by contacting Student Services.